Roulette is a casino table game. It is played on a table with a betting area and a wheel. The wheel has either 37 or 38 sections with the numbers 1 through 36 and either one (0) or two zero (0 and 00) positions. The aim of the game is to predict where the ball will land. There are a range of betting options and pay offs.
The History of Roulette
The first versions of roulette can be tracked back to France in the 18th century and the modern game has been played since around 1796. In 1842 the zero was added to the wheel in order to give casinos a bigger advantage over the player. This advantage was increased when the game arrived in the US with the 00 added.
Aim of the Game
Your aim is to predict where the ball will land on the wheel. You have a range of betting options to do this. For example you can bet on the outcome being red or black, bet on individual numbers or bet on odd or even. The higher the odds of an outcome occurring increases the possible win.
You can place any number of bets up to the table limit. There are two classes of bets. These are inside bets and outside bets. They are named like this as all of the inside bets occur inside the numbered area on the table while the outside bets are placed on the outside of the numbered area. The possible bets are as follows.
- Straight Bet - A chip placed on a single number
- Split Bet - A chip placed on the line between two numbers
- Street Bet - A chip placed at the end of a row (Covers three numbers)
- Corner Bet - A chip placed where four numbers join (Covers four numbers)
- Six Line - A chip placed where two rows join (Covers six numbers)
- Column Bet - A chip placed at the end of a column (Covers twelve numbers)
- Red / Black - A bet on the outcome being either red or black
- Odd / Even - A bet on the outcome being either odd or even
- High / Low - A bet on the outcome being either 1 to 18 or 19 to 36
- Group Bet - A bet placed on the outcome being 1 to 12, 13 to 24 or 25 to 36
Each of the different bets offers different odds of occurring and therefore different pay offs for correctly guessing. These are as follows.
- Straight Bet - 35 to 1
- Split Bet - 17 to 1
- Street Bet - 11 to 1
- Corner Bet - 8 to 1
- Six Line - 4 to 1
- Column Bet - 2 to 1
- Group Bet - 2 to 1
- Red / Black - 1 to 1
- Odd / Even - 1 to 1
- High / Low - 1 to 1
How to Play
Playing is a simple matter of placing chips in on the table. You can place any combination of bets up to the table limit. For example you could bet on the number 7, the row of 7, 8, 9 and the red position. If the ball then landed on 7 you would win on all three bets.
Sequence of Play
- Place a bet or bets on the table
- The ball spins and comes to a stop on a position on the wheel
- Winning bets are paid according the corresponding pay offs
- Game starts again
Play Roulette Online
The following casinos are the most popular with online roulette players. They all have single zero tables and betting limts start from just $1. If you like the idea of winning a jackpot when you play roulette check out the Microgaming casinos as they have a progressive roulette game known as Roulette Royale.